COSMETICS AND HOUSEHOLD CHEMICAL SUBSTANCES DEPARTMENT
The Cosmetics and Household Chemical Substances Department (CHC) is of the two departments that make up the Medical Devices, Cosmetics and Household Chemical Substances (MDCHC) Division.
The Division is one of the new Divisions created to ensure improved efficiency in the work of the Food and Drugs Authority.It was created out of the then Drugs Division in March 2013.The Division has two Departments, namely the Medical Devices Department and the Cosmetics and Household Chemical Substances Department.
The core mandate of the Cosmetics and Household Chemical Substances Department is to evaluate applications submitted for the registration of all cosmetics and household chemical substances imported and locally manufactured.
The Cosmetics and Household Chemical Substances Department has two units namely:
- The Cosmetics Unit
- The Household Chemical Substances Unit
FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT
The functions of the Department are as follows:
- Inform and update clients on the registrations requirements for cosmetics and household chemical substances
- Develop guidelines and registration requirements in line with international regulation
- Evaluate product label and documentation to ensure unsubstantiated label claims and banned substances are not passed on to the consumer organise and coordinate training programmes aimed at capacity building for stakeholders in the cosmetics and household chemical substances industry
- Organise consumer education on cosmetics and household chemical substances
- Correspond with the Ports of entry and process import permit applications for the release of registered cosmetics and household chemical substances.
- Ensure effective data management aimed at obtaining data and information to guide and inform policy formulation for the effective regulation of imported and locally manufactured products.
The current staff in the Department have varied expertise and experience. These include Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry and Pharmaceutical Science.